The fatal shooting of Trayvon Martin by George Zimmerman took place on the night of February26, 2012, in Sanford, Florida. Martin was a 17 year old high school student. On July 10, 2013, a jury acquitted Zimmerman of second-degree murder and of manslaughter. This list of quotes is a tribute to depict the grace and dignity that the parents ( Tracy Martin & Sybrina Fulton) of Trayvon displayed before, during and after the trial.
10. “I really wish they knew Trayvon for who he was, and knew that he was a kid. They didn’t know him as a human being.” – Tracy Martin, Father of Trayvon Martin
9. “I’ll never grasp why the jury acquitted Zimmerman.” – Tracy Martin, Father of Trayvon Martin
8. “To have your son taken away like that, it hurts. And it’s a process that will take a long time to start the recovery from.” – Tracy Martin, Father of Trayvon Martin
7. “Instead of placing the blame on the teenager, we need to place the blame on the responsible adult. There were two people involved. We had an adult who was chasing a kid, and we had a kid who I feel was afraid.” – Sybrina Fulton, Mother of Trayvon Martin
6. “I thought surely that he would be found guilty of second degree murder, manslaughter at the least. I just knew that they would see that this was a teenager just trying to get home.” – Sybrina Martin, Mother of Trayvon Martin
5. “My child was profiled. He was stereotyped. He did nothing wrong and we’re not going to let our son die in vain.” - Tracy Martin, Father of Trayvon Martin
4. “I heard my son screaming.” - Sybrina Fulton, Mother of Trayvon Martin, reacting to the 911 call that captured the last minutes of her son’s life.
2. “Not only I vow to do what I have to do for Trayvon Martin, I promise I’m going to work hard for your children as well.” – Sybrina Fulton, Mother of Trayvon Martin
1. “We are not going to let this verdict define Trayvon. We will define our son’s legacy.” – Sybrina Fulton, Mother of Trayvon Martin